02 June 2011

This Is Not An Art Class

Apparently my class about the lumbar spine is not an art class, why was this not mentioned before week 13? You are probably laughing but the truth is when my professor said it I was a bit cut. This was my thought process "gah! What if I wanted to draw cartoons of how to teach patients to use their TrA or MF on  my exam?!" Why I thought this I almost dont know. Its not like we do anything art related. We are physiotherapy students. Our classes are lectures and hands on assessing, treating and  manipulating spines. Art is not utilized.

The truth is it confronted me with something I have never acknowledged openly. I have never studied art in any sense. I havent taking drawing or painting classes. I havent taken photography, graphic design, architecture or fashion classes. Yet those are all things that I really, really am fascinated by and wish I knew more about and was more skilled in. So an off hand comment bringing humour about the impending doom of the upcoming exams just made me wonder if I have missed a turn on the path at some point. I have studied science and exercise for most of the last 10 years I would say. It may be because I was good at it, or it may be because I was too scared that I wouldnt be good enough at anything artistic. I need creative outlets before I go crazy in my own head. Unfortunately, my lumbar exam is not going to be one of those.

As an after thought, almost an addendum to this thought process, maybe its good to stop and think about the things we have always wanted to try, or the things we are scared to fail at. Maybe those are the things we would be best at because we would be passionate about it. Passion can make all of the difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment