30 June 2011

Disney's Greatest Downfall

I love the happiest place on earth. It really does make me epically happy, like a child. I will wait longest in a line for my favourite ride as a kid and then refuse to wait for my current favourite ride if the line is long. I guess sentiment and memories mean a lot. That place brings up a lot. Times as a child, family vacations, roadtrips with friends and bonding with a sibling. And yet at the core of it all there is a fatal flaw. One thing that rips at my heartstrings amidst the glory of it all. The love stories.

I am a sucker for Disney love stories. I grew up on Disney films and know most of them far too well. I may not be a princessy type of person in anyway but I cant help but smile when Aladin and Jasmin are together or when I think of Belle and the Beast, or Aurora and her prince.. and the list just goes on and on. The characters, the story, the romance, its is all so perfectly created. A clear example of why Disney has made such a name for itself over the decades. So what could possibly be the flaw amidst all of this perfection you ask?

Its the fact that I see love in that fairytale, perfect, happy ending, prince charming sort of way. I spent all of those secret mental moments in lines thinking of those endings and their beginnings and trying to piece something of the remnants of my past into anything near that. I searched those dark corners of my memory wondering if I missed something, if currently there was something brewing, if I even knew how those tales could translate to real life. I still dont know if I can come up with anything. The attempt to connect it just seems foggy and disjointed. I think Disney has entirely warped my sense and understanding of love, and I am not sure how I even feel about it.

1 comment:

  1. I can promise you there IS happy ending and a prince charming and it will blow the socks off of any disney film you've ever seen. i love you!

    ReplyDelete