02 June 2011

Fear Avoidance and Burnt Toast

It is probably said that when a fear affects your daily living then an intervention is required. Something needs to change. I was told I need an intervention. I accepted this and asked if someone would intervene and kill the spider. The issue isnt me, its the spiders. You see I dont go into their webs and creepily stare at them or stalk them. So I dont find it unreasonable that I am upset when they exactly that to me. I do recognize it is a bit of an issue. I admit that it was not the best thing ever when I was starving yesterday and waited nearly an hour because I was scared to go past the spider on the cabinet. I mean I resolved it by climbing across the counter and watching the spider the whole time I was in the kitchen. Perhaps my toast wouldnt have burnt if I was watching it and not the spider. But I got food ultimately after I climbed back across the counter and scampered to my room. So all in all it worked out right?

Not so much. I just am too afraid that intervention would involve me and spiders in the same place. And I openly admit that I have a very irrational fear that spiders will attack me and possibly kill me if I am not careful. I will eventually move back to a place that doesnt have such big spiders, or at least not as many of them. But until then I will likely resort to waiting for housemates to kill them or knocking on my neighbours door.

There is a bigger picture though. Who loves burnt toast and being afraid? Probably no one. But we all have fears. I bet Chuck Norris is even scared of something, maybe emotion. Regardless, in situations where fear is evoked we often choose avoidance and end up in a lose lose situation. Perhaps its time to face our fears and eat less burnt toast.

1 comment:

  1. Move back in with me. There are no spiders :)

    ps. I thought you stopped blogging because you don't show up on my little blogger update thing! I think I fixed it though..

    pps. I LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete