06 June 2011

Growing Pains

In the space of 16 months I went from having really long hair to progressively shorter hair. To the point where it was a pixie cut. Short hair was something I had wanted for ages. That may be why I cut it. Or I could have cut it because I wanted to feel like I was in control of something in my life. Or perhaps because I was bored. Or because I had been told I should never cut my hair short as it was gorgeous. I think they were all factors. Some of it was out of defiance, some out of my search for control and normality and some out of boredom and wondering what it would be life.

Regardless, I have been stuck in the seemingly never ending phase of growing my hair out. I used to think I was going to have a mullet or something equally as awful as there seemed to be no hope for my hair. However, I am finally seeing a light. A light that says that one day possibly in the foreseeable future I will be able to just have a normal haircut. One where my hair does not require mass amounts of wax or bobby pins in order to be semi acceptable.

Now to the point. We all make choices that are attached to consequences. My choice led to several painful months of trying to grow my hair. Other choices lead to heartache, or apologies or hard work to repair things. All of these choices and consequences seem to be part of growing up. Usually the not fun and difficult parts of it. But there is always a light. Even if its like a tea light that seems so dim you can barely make it out. Its still there. So perhaps all of those pains we find because of our choices is just us learning and growing. Without growing pains we wouldnt grow. Maybe thats why they say no pain no gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment