01 March 2011

My Golden Rule of Flying

Similar to many normal humans I do not like public bathrooms. I also am a nervous pee-er. I do not like thinking people can hear me pee. So when I fly I have a golden rule, "Do Not Use the Bathrooms". No problem. Prior to November I had never been on a way long flight. November marked my first 14 hour flight. No problem, pee before and after and sleep during. Nailed it. Then I recently embarked on a magical trip to Europe. This involved nearly 30 hours of flights there. Again, I followed that golden rule to a t. On the way back I was doing great. Til I woke up feeling ill and then somehow made it to the bathroom barely in time to vomit. Yes, I was that person that threw up on the plane, at least no one saw. So the rule was broken. It was a tragic moment. Partially because I was throwing up and still have 2.5 hours of that flight, a 2 hour layover and 8 more hours to fly, but mostly because the rule was broken.

Everyone has some rules like that I think. Perhaps yours are not as ridiculous or strange as mine, but I am not ashamed of it or anything. Its entirely logical in my head. I am just thinking though how crazy it is that we set up these rules, things we will never ever do, but then BAM! Circumstances change and we just break it, without much more than a second thought. Hopefully we dont do that for what matters most, but I think sometimes we do. Golden Rules should be made for reasons, and not broken unless essential. I have taped up my golden rule for flying and it is once again in effect.

1 comment:

  1. funny you should mention that. one of the rules i made when i became friends with this one girl was to never treat her like she's in the army. yesterday i broke that rule when i got a text from her saying how she didn't want to go to class and wanted to sleep all day instead. the brusque response and correspondence resulted in her dropping a somewhat irked "don't cadet george me."
    things worked out favorably and the rule's back in place again :)

    ReplyDelete