29 July 2012

Your Religion Made Me Realize Everything I Believe

I dont usually post about religion. Not because I feel it is a taboo subject like politics, and politics is really a subject I do believe is taboo because it shocks me how heated people get about it and most of the time they are super ignorant yet opinionated and it makes me uncomfortable. I just dont usually write about it because it is the most important thing to me. It is easier for me to handle people rejecting me than my beliefs I suppose. It isnt like a secret, it is just sacred. So I usually shy away from writing as to not create some form of discord with whatever humans find this place. But I think today I just will break from that.

I have thought a lot about religion the last couple of weeks and part of it is because I met a Muslim. I had previously only ever known one other Muslim and she wasnt practicing so I was fascinated. It immediately spiralled into me trying to learn as much about Islam as I could just so I could be at least a tiny bit knowledgeable and not so ignorant. And this all led to me looking at my own beliefs and what mattered to me. Sometimes I try and trick myself into thinking that I could be happy with someone that didnt believe the same as me. I think I was wrong though. It makes me feel all warm inside knowing that people kneel and pray to other deities, but that is because I know at the end of the day we are all looking for that same comfort and believing there is something else there. I love that diversity. It intrigues me. But I think I realized that when I close my eyes and imagine my future I see myself with a husband and little children kneeling at a bed praying to God. I want to be able to raise a family with the same values I have. I want their faith anchored in Christ the way mine is. And I want them to experience the pure joy that I feel.

I think know I would be lost without my faith. As I was teaching a class today I realized so much of that. I was relating story after story about my life because the room was too quiet and it just reminded me of how much I can relate anything back to my beliefs. And I have realized the reason that things have turned around and that I am so happy is directly proportionate to my beliefs and the choices I have been making. I found the comfort I needed in Christ. And I suppose today I just wanted to clarify that. I wish I knew the proper way to express to everyone how grateful I am for my faith because I cant imagine life without it. I think when I meet the right person they will understand that.

1 comment: