05 April 2011

One Day Without Shoes

I am a huge supporter of organizations that are in place to actually make the world a better place. Toms. They make incredibly comfortable shoes that are classy and for each pair you buy they make another pair and give them to a child without shoes. A for profit organization that makes a difference. Today was the day to go without shoes in representation of this and to raise awareness.

It was a typical day, rode the bus to uni, had prac classes and lectures. Went to a physio appointment, went to a few stores on and off campus and walked around campus and the streets. Everyone would just look at me, my feet and then give me some sort of judgemental look. I smiled. Just ask if you wonder, no reason to think I am shoeless for attention. Do you think people that cant afford shoes dont wear shoes to get attention? No. One day without shoes reminded me of how fortunate I am.

Also, I wore my TWLOHA shirt today. To Write Love on Her Arms is my other favourite organization. I heard about them just over 4 years ago. It is an organization that focuses on love as the movement. If people know that they are loved they can get through anything. They help people get connected to the treatments and help they need, whether that be counseling, rehab or someone to talk to. Suicide prevention is huge and I really do look up to the people that donate their time and money to help save lives.

So in my shoeless state I thought about the promotion of love and how TWLOHA talks about "stopping the bleeding". How many people are in dire straits? I mean maybe we have shoes and maybe we dont have an addiction, but we all have something. And going one day without shoes has made me more sensitive to the hardships that other people have going on. I hope I can be someone that people will come to if they are in a low place. I am all for love and second chances and getting help and helping people get help. I should be shoeless more often, its made me a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment