25 April 2011

Compromises Out of Affection

I wouldnt normally make that exception. I would rather not. I have made a choice and why would I change that for you? However, it was Easter Sunday, you were across the world visiting me and you are one of the few people I would do literally anything for. So there I was. In the kitchen in my swimsuit and towel still smelling like ocean and I was seasoning your chicken. Being vegetarian doesnt mean that you also have to make a meat free holiday meal, my choices dont affect yours. So I made you a pleasant little meal and the evening progressed with perfection.

I used to think compromises were for weak people. I grew up stubborn and seldomly would back down when I had an opinion. Then I started to grow up. I learned to listen, and to understand. I found out that most people knew more than me and I had to be prepared to take in everything possible and change my original opinions when I was wrong. I also thought that on the rare occasions that people did compromise it was because they were doing it out of love to please someone. I compromised not because I expected you to do the same for our friendship to continue, it was because it meant a lot to you and after all you have done for me it was the least I could do. So it wasnt a compromise that will send me on a spiral to disaster, it was one that just reminded you that I will always be here.

Here is to me compromising because you deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment