05 August 2012

A Bounty To Be Hunted

I remember one time I was at this camp sort of thing. Not like camping, and not because I cant camp- I can, but it was more of a stay in uni dorms when you are a teenager sort of thing. And so there I was, probably 15 or 16 and I was in a group of girls and guys. One day the guys wrote notes to us and my one friend had quoted Proverbs 31:10 about how a virtuous woman is worth more than rubies. I suppose it sounded nice but I wasnt one for nice things like rubies so it didnt mean much. I think the beauty of it all was lost on my tomboyish mind.

Now fast forward to this evening. I had successfully lost at spoons so was spending my time wisely checking emails. There was one from an unfamiliar name but for some reason it seemed important to read, so that I did. And suddenly so much of my mental thought processes and hidden anxiety fled. You see I have realized that I want to work in the hospital system and due to the fact I may actually stop being a student for good and getting a real job these things are important to know. So I went to a function to "launch my career". I left feeling like a soviet rocket that never left the station. Apparently being foreign is not on the checklist of qualities required for the hospitals in this region. Suddenly I felt like the prospects of finding a job had disappeared quite dramatically. I wasnt exactly stressed, just not as at ease as I would have hoped for. The idea of finding a career job is daunting. So back to the email, it was from a Physiotherapist that I had spoken to whilst launching that career of mine. His words were more than kind and indicated interest in attaining me as a new grad for their company. I was shocked, not because our conversations were less than lovely but because I hadnt ever thought of myself as a prize to be won by an employer.  I just thought that finding a career would entirely be a form of me trying to sell myself and taking whatever bider was keen. But I think I had it all wrong. Perhaps this is all about marketing those skills I actually have spent mass amounts of time honing and seeing which place is best for me and not settling for the first one that accepts foreigners. I think I have more options than I thought. And I feel like a bit of a bounty being hunted as someone is already showing interest in my mad skillz. Maybe growing up isnt so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment