16 January 2012

My Possible Domestication

I realized today that I may not be as typical as I thought. We were sitting around a table in a clinic in a hospital. It was asked why we chose this as our career path. My answer was simple, I had wanted to be a doctor but I decided that having a family was more important and I didnt want to just be starting my career at 30 when I could be having kids. So I chose a more family friendly career. My response was unique to say the least.

I then thought about it. I dont care what other people say. I am at a point where I am ready to get married and be on that path. I like baking and cooking and trying new recipes. I know how to use a sewing machine and how to hem and I have learned to knit and cross stitch several times before. I am a bit domesticated and I am more than fine with that. I cant help it if I am in the twenty first century and yet dont mind traditional gender roles. I mean amidst it all I am excessively independent and I really am untraditional in most ways so its fine with me if I am good at the homely things.

I dont know why it stood out so much today. Perhaps because I blatantly saw that I really really want to work with kids and to be in the next stage of life. The one where I have a job and am not a student. The one where I have more time to just be rad and to bake ninja cookies. I think I may be domesticated and that that may not be typical anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment