15 August 2011

The Only Rabbit Worth Writing About

Twenty years ago a boy was born. Not a rabbit, a boy. However, being the precocious child I was I hated boys. I decided that if said baby was a boy I would call him Spit to represent my disliking of the gender. I did so for nearly twenty years and sometimes still do. However, he is known by many names and some numbers. One name involves a rabbit. So today I am dedicating my words to this rabbit. One that continually changes my life.

I find it is seldom that someones actions shock you in such a way that you could cry out of the disbelief for their love for you. That they do something that seems so outstanding and selfless in the name of protecting you. I used to look at this rabbit as a small young thing, someone I would look out for. Even as he grew and became much taller and stronger I felt the sense to nurture him and look after him. I didnt even realize when the time came and he suddenly was the one protecting me, actually, all of us. His own words expressed how he thought of himself as the lion looking out for the pride. That the felt a sense of responsibility to protect us as the man of the home. His words and concern showed me a glimpse of a man, a man so devoted to his family that he would never back down. I dont know when I went to sleep and he transformed from a little boy,  I really dont.

I still think of when we would play in the trees or when he handcuffed the babysitter to the tramp. Or when we used to play street hockey. I think of him as the little boy that would play lego with me. I sometimes can think of him growing up and playing football, and the anxiousness I would feel each time he got hit. But rarely did I think of him as the man that would one day take us all under his wings and protect us.

I feel blessed to have a little brother that acts as a big brother and would do anything for me. I am honoured to be associated with him and to have someone care so deeply. I often wish I could take away the pain he must feel but he continually puts the girls first and ensures our needs are met. I love you more than anything and would give my life for you Matty Rabbit. Happy Birthday. And thank you for never leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment