23 August 2011

I Can Guarantee That Lickin' The Package Ain't Ever Quite As Good As

Its like when you get a cup of chocolate pudding and you open it up and lick off the lid. Its just a quick tease of how good the pudding is about to be. If you only got that, well. you would be sorely disappointed. It just is a fraction of the exquisiteness that is about to enfold in your mouth.

Life is so much like this sometimes. We get a quick sample of something and are left yearning for more. Or  even left just knowing that the whole thing is so much better. Maybe its abnormal but I feel this way with people sometimes. Its like when all you get is a text or a fb message or an email you are just left feeling like you only got a sample. Such a small piece compared to what it was like to see them or hangout or just be together.

I got the most miraculous mail today. It was part of a package I had ordered from my favourite artist. A young man who's music has been touching my life since high school days. I was psyched to see how his solo album turned out. And then I got a poster that thanked me for launching his solo career (standard poster right) and then for being from Canada, that was funny in and of itself. It should be noted that I actually became friends with him a few years back which was so epically amazing because he is crazy down to earth and a solid guy. And then he sent along a friendly note and random photos of himself. It was hilarious. I like that I know someone that is a tiny bit famous and that he is such a dear because it makes me feel special and remembered.

But to tie it all together, it just reminded me how much better it was when I could just go to his shows and chat with him, and then at his shows I would go with JD and her and I would giggle and be us. And then I think about Provo and other humans that I miss and then my family. And I just realize that skype and facebook and text messages and phone calls are great. But they will never be quite as good as being with those people. Just like how licking the package is never going to be quite as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment