26 December 2010

Wild Things, Dinosaur Fossils, Black Pearls and Toilets

The making of a happy Christmas. I knew this year had to be different, there were no options. Yet Christmas was the one day I liked to be the same, the exact same, every year. And so the day came, and everything was entirely new, and yet part of it was so much the same.

I woke up and saw 3 kangaroos across the road from Cid's families home. I knew Australia was real then, either that or the budget of the Truman Show must have spiked in order to make the holiday season more realistic. Both are plausible options. The day progressed from there in its entirely unusual fashion. I must admit I was feeling so homesick and lonely amidst that beautiful family. They just welcomed me in, but it wasnt the same as home, and part of that was just so hard to overcome.

Then it started turning around. I talked to someone that always knows what to say, he has somehow obtained a wealth of advice as he has aged. So there I was, standing in the sun taking in every word. The bigger picture became clear, he knew there was a lot more to it than just that day. So we got into the major things and he reminded me that I had to start creating my own memories, ones that were happy and new, I couldnt dwell on the past forever. And maybe it was time I put it all out there and send a much needed email (which I did). Somewhere in the laughing and being reminded how I am like a nerd on steroids, everything became okay. Thank you.

Then I talked to mum and grandma and grandpa. And I remembered how those three people love me more than anything. And it didnt matter where I was, or that it was Christmas Eve for them and Christmas Day for me. Nothing mattered, because we have each other. And then Christmas began in my heart. I realized that it had nothing to do with where I was, or who was there or what happened. It just mattered to me that they knew I loved them and that they loved me back.

Its not to say that the rest of the day wasnt epic, but I learned my lesson in that moment as the sun was burning my skin a little bit while I talked on the phone. We opened presents and played this insane twister game and had dinner and it was so lovely. And then Uncle Shawn brought out his gift. He is no relative of mine but I had heard of his gifts. It was a complete toilet. Thank goodness he didnt know I was coming, I dodged that one.

Then the real best part came. It was just after midnight when the skyping began. We sat in a circle, just like always, except this time I was on the screen. And one at a time we opened our stocking presents then the gifts from me. And it was magical, minus when that huge bug attacked me and tried to kill me. I am glad that was entertaining for the rest of you, however, I thought I was going to die. And as each present was opened I realized how well my family knows me. Its not like a superficial knowing like it is with most people, they know know me. When I opened up an ice cube tray that was fossilized dinosaur bones, and wild thing pajamas and a peace bracelet and zen magnets I knew that they knew exactly who I was.

So Christmas came and was beautiful. And it ended with me opening the most beautiful present I can imagine. We were shopping for someone else when I fell in love with that pearl set, never did I imagine I would own one. So as I look at each piece and carefully put them on I am reminded how the 4 of you are always here, even when you are not.

So even when I was sure the Grinch had stolen my Christmas and every ounce of love I had for it, everything changed. My heart definitely grew several sizes that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment