06 December 2010

The Snake at the Bottom of the Stairs

Upon returning from my run this morning I saw a small snake at the bottom of the stairs. I was terrified of course. I heard that the little snakes are the ones that can kill you. Plus I had only ever seen a snake in the wild once before. So I ran up the stairs and got ready for class. Much to my dismay the snake was still there staring at me with its evil eyes when I left for class. So when I was finally returning home in the early evening I started to pysch myself out. I thought of what to do when this snake bit me, would I go to the neighbours who I dont know? Would I phone someone? Would I run inside to our visiting travellers and ask them what to do? I had no idea. I was petrified. And then I got home, and the snake was gone.

Hours later I was still distraught so I asked my roommate. Apparently its a blue-tongued lizard that just looked like a snake because its legs are so little. Shoot.

But how often do we misinterpret something? Or pre-judge and never actually stop and take in a situation? Honestly, I do it all the time. I assume something and psych myself out of things that really should not be stressed over prematurely. I freak out about things that could be solved with a conversation because I am too scared to ask the big questions and the ones that matter. But sometimes you have to. I had to come inside and shower before class even if I thought it was a snake waiting to attack me. And sometimes I have to know what page someone else is on. So instead of just thinking that those beady eyes are laying in the bushes waiting to attack us at our most vulnerable moments maybe its time to take a closer look and actually be brave and take the situation for what it is.

Sometimes a snake is not a snake at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment