14 December 2010

Letters on Paper

He went on a mission for 2 years. Our only means of communicating was through letters. I was lucky to get one a month and I would keep each of those letters in a special box so I could reread them as if it meant he was not so far.

She went on a mission for 18 months. Before she left I wrote her letters, for all of those times I would want to be by her side. That way it was like she hadnt left me for so long. We still wrote regular letters, but this way when she needed a best friend I could be there still.

She went to Egypt. I wrote her letters for all of the things I thought she would need someone to be there for. I mean egypt could have sketchy internet, I just didnt know.

I moved to Australia. She wrote me 4 letters and the night before I left she gave them to me. I kept these letters treasured. I didnt want to open them at the wrong time. Sunday I opened the first one. I cried for ages.

I had always wondered how other people felt when they got letters that I sent, or when they opened the prewritten letters for those days when loneliness or pain was reigning. I think I now know. Everything I needed to hear was in that letter. The next day I got 2 Christmas cards in the mail.

When distance causes hugs and first hand love to be prevented from being shared letters are the next best thing. I keep those photos and the words and the snowman and the cards so close. I thought it would be hard to be loved so far away, and at some moments I feel like I have never been more loved.

Thank you for knowing I would feel alone Mum and writing me letters. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment