25 December 2012

Christmas Musings

It is a time when family gathers and tension is high but at the heart of it all is laughter and love. And somehow it all leads me to reflection.

Tonight we discussed our favorite Christmases past, after my grandpa reminded me of how gothic I look- even with red nails and an outfit with much less black than normal. As we told our stories I remembered a beloved Christmas card praising my mother for raising a retarded son who acts like a wimpy schoolgirl and the years we saved up and gave away gifts to people who wouldn't have a Christmas. There was a sense of magic that can only come from the love of a family.

And yet as I sit here musing I recognize that the day was atypical in so many ways. It was filled with the hassle of Walmart and getting free items due to their frustration and the stress of trying to organize a variety of dishes and snacks before guests arrived. And somewhere there were unexpected messages that reminded me of a past I had nearly forgotten. And of future memories that could occur. And I can't deny the excitement.

I sometimes get lost in my past. And feel floundering in my future as my life is so uncertain right now and it scares me. But for those few moments of schoolgirl texting I felt a reprieve from my own insecurities. Christmas has a way of making dark things seem bright. May you feel the saviours love around you a little extra today.

No comments:

Post a Comment