05 January 2011

Hoser.

I used to think you didnt know what it meant to cry. It was like you were invincible. Then one night you called me. We were best friends but we didnt talk on the phone, thats how I knew something was wrong. You were crying. I was so confused. I knew I had to work early the next morning but I told Mum and we found lifesavers and I drove into the city to find you. You lived by the ghetto house then. We went to the park and ate lifesavers and sat on the swings as you cried. Your parents were getting divorced. I still think of that night and how it took our friendship to the next level.

After that you moved a few hours south and then I moved to the states for most of the next 4 years. Summers were spent going to the zoo and movies and people watching at the mall, while school months were spent texting and sending fb messages trying to keep in touch.

The next real phone call I remember between us was a sunday. I was the one bawling this time. You knew something was wrong the second you saw I had called. Even though 6 years of friendship had happened we still didnt do phone calls. You called back and tried to console me as I told you it was my parents this time. The tables had turned.

In between all of those years we had minor cries over stupid boys or stupid things but seldom did they merit phone calls. Now I am across the world and I just wish I could be there to sit on a swing and eat lifesavers with you. But we are okay. I have texted you while crying over being so lonely and homesick and you have texted me over the hurt from a lost love. But finally I have realized how good of friends we are. I had been sitting here wishing for a way to help you, but then you went to my little sisters basketball game and sat with my mum and let it out. I know she would have loved you and said the things I wish I could say to your face.

So when you come across this I hope you realize that no matter where either of us live, I will always know that phone calls mean bad news and that its time to drop everything and settle in for a good cry. I will always know that you gave me that book that opened our eyes to relationships. I will always know that it was that stupid math class you hated back when I was in grade 11 that made us friends and I dont regret having you hate that class so much that it forced me to be your partner. I know you will be hating me for being sappy at this point but I am too far for you to punch me, so it was worth it.

ps thank goodness I am now allotted 500 texts from you! I will make use of every single one..
pps I am still sorry I had lunch with him and gave him his present instead of being at my house the day before I left.

1 comment:

  1. lifesavers-you brought them to me, and in doing so saved a big part of me.

    "thats what friends are for"
    I had never really understood that saying and certainly had never really believed it, until I called you and you came.
    From math class...to movies (especially the scary ones)...to the mall...to the science centre (in tiaras)...to the zoo...to crying its all done best with you.

    There have not been many phone calls, but they certainly have been important. I believe that there will one day be some good, happy and excited phone calls for us. When something major occurs that we cant wait to share. I also know that there will be more crying phone calls, because for us anything worth crying over is pretty major. Im thankful for Caller ID so that I dont need to wait until hearing a message to know that you need me, and because I know that I dont need to leave a message for you to know that i need you...asap...

    Because half the world separates us, and makes phone calls a little more difficult I am also thankful for text messaging. Some months 500 wont be enough, and others it might be serious overkill. but thats the best part about us. Much of our communication is random, spur of the moment, completely influenced by what is going on in our lives at that exact moment...it is never calculated and certainly never reguired.

    you will always be the one who ruined my math nap...who helped me survive Wilde...who saved me with lifesavers and swings...who gave me the chance to be there for you when the tables turned...who is never more then a text or facebook message away...who gets I rarely do phone calls...who is usually pretty far away but always close in favorite memories... and who i can definetly count on for more memories. You are the one who is always there, even when you are nowhere near

    so thank you. thank you for becoming my friend so many years ago, thank you for the past few months of counseling and advice via text, and especially thank you for everything you will do for me in the future...incase i forget to say it than. thank you for showing me what friends are really for

    ps. reading and responding to this blog is the last thing i will do on this laptop before i give it back in the morning. It is the last thing of his to be packed. so thank you for making me cry, for a change not about him, but for something actually really great and special (though i would definetly punch you if you were in reach)

    re pps. im sorry i got mad about that. i dont need to come first all the time....though i would prefer it atleast most of the time! I understand why you werent there

    ReplyDelete