15 January 2011

... and all I got was refugee status

So as most of the whole world knows, Queensland was dominated by floods. And when I say dominated, I mean the floods totally destroyed a major area. Most of Brisbane was affected. Over 115,000 people lost power. 15 people so far have died. Over 30,000 homes flooded. Animals had to be rescued. Thousands and thousands of people had to evacuate. Domination was had.

After a very muddy journey through the old couples driveway, the chicken coop and some other yards and a broken fence I got into my house today. The front road is still majorly flooded, so its not like I just prefer the dirty back way, I just cant go any other way. I didnt have any idea what the house would be like. I am still in shock. The house was caked in thick, slimy, mud. It was everywhere. Like so much so that you were sliding as you tried to walk from room to room. Everything was coated in a muddy film. The front lawn portion not submersed into the water is covered in ruined objects, such as beds, mattresses and the like. The street has tranformed. It used to be a quaint road, now its muddy, and trashy.

Ultimately, I have no home now. I dont know why I thought I would just move back in like nothing had happened. It just shows how little I knew about floods. They ruin homes. My neighbours are going to demolish and rebuild. I will just move. This week has been unreal. I was so ready for 2011 to be my year. I was going to nail it. Somehow I dont feel like this is what I was planning. Its time for me to get my head out of this daze and back to real life. Which seems harder when I am on someone elses couch, with my things in a pile or sitting in my mud covered house. I am so over this natural disaster. I am ready to have a permanent home, be back in class and not be wondering when I will feel like life is not dominating me.

I survived the floods of 2011, and all I got was refugee status.

No comments:

Post a Comment