29 May 2012

Ocean Avenue

The  music rings through as my feet hit the pavement and it is like the world transforms. It was the summer after grade ten. I was driving and had a job selling fruit. The truck was a tank, it was older and stronger than me and was basically a metal monster. It was hardcore, kinda like me. I would drive out to that parking lot, settle in with a book and my "i love surfer boy" flip flops and tan to a darker shade of white. It was full of sun, fruit, and memories. Even the first moments of the song remind me of that summer. The BC cherries and the Taber corn, things you can only appreciate if you know the region, were just what supplied the monetary part of it, but it really means nothing. It was a summer of memories, mostly insignificant but so entwined to this song. It makes me think of the exact 5 cent candies I would get from seven eleven on the days I had tips, the livewires were the best. I remember the smell of the grease from Macdonalds wafting across the pavement and the fact that the beasty truck rarely started without a boost. It was what I consider the quintessential teenage summer. And I love the fact that I can remember so much of it with just a few beautiful words and notes.

ps I may blog about yellowcard incessantly until their new album comes out because I am so overly stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment