19 May 2012

Eighth Grade Christmas

It was math class, I even remember the teacher, who's son is coincidentally friends with my little sister now, and it was Christmas time. My friend gave me a present. It was lightbulb earrings. I loved them. The only issue was my ears werent pierced. You would think that by 13 I would have gotten to that. I hadnt. So I went home and told my mother I wanted them pierced. She said I would have to wait 6 months and if I still wanted them then I could get them done. I was shocked. Hello, at 13 I knew what I wanted. And my older sister had hers done when she was like 9 or 10 so it seemed ridiculous. Her reasoning was something along the lines that it was because I change my mind frequently, and usually think I really want something one day and then the next forget about it.

She may never have been more right about anything. As I sit here, with pierced ears that I still do like but waited at least 6 months for, I realize this. I am a very fleeting person. I feel interested for a moment then entirely forget about it. I am not sure how you change something like that but with the 20/20 vision hindsight is sporting me I can see it has left a trail of minor disasters.

This actually happens a shocking amount. Like how I wanted to change my major to photography and now havent touched my camera in over a year. Or how I can think I love someone one day and the next realize we have nothing in common and entirely forget about it. Or the way I can to be in Africa one day and then Europe the next and then forget both and get caught up in Israel.

The only explanation is that I want so many things my brain just cant compute so I just focus on one insanely for a short period then I overload and move on. However this doesnt explain the guy thing. How can I ever marry someone when I cant even decide if I like someone for more than a day? Or if I do like them for several days I find it so easy to forget them when the door closes. I feel like that will be an issue when I am back in a world that involves dates.

At least in the meantime I have a lot of really amazing earrings to remind me that on occasion I can want something long term.

1 comment:

  1. When the right guy comes along, he'll keep you hooked forever and you'll realize why it never worked out with anyone else :)

    ReplyDelete