14 September 2011

Feelings Beyond Vague F-Ship

Ships come and go with the tide. F-ships are the same. They dont all come to harbour and stay. Some leave but always come back and others leave never to be heard of again. And some you see in passing, and thats all you need. You dont feel a compulsion to stop or to reroute to join their journey. You just enjoy the friendly passings on. These are the feelings I classify as vauge, the ones that dont need to surpass the threshold into real f-shipping.

Perhaps its bad to admit it, perhaps it makes me seem shallow or like relationships are insignificant. I dont think that at all. Its quite contrary. I just tend to take a ship and grasp it so tightly or place it in a glass bottle to be treasured forever or I let it sail on. Some of the ships that have passed I miss, and wish I had flagged them down. And sometimes I realize it was for the best and that our ships would never be on the same route. So I embrace the vagueness. The calm, subtle moments of hellos. And I let them just be that. There is no reason to make them larger or to think longer.

And then I think about the ones that are one the shelf, preserved so preciously. And I am grateful for them. Perhaps they arent really boats in glass bottles but they are there. They are represented in a childs shoe, or a photo, or a drawing, or a record or a scrapbook or a gift. They have found their spot on my journey and I cherish them. My f-shipping skills have been lacking lately. I apologize. I will try and reroute my ship away from the dark abyss it may have been journeying towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment