17 June 2010

Music Mends Broken Hearts.

I used to be rather on top of the music scene. As high school was coming to its last two years I really focused on music. I would never be on the computer unless I was listening to Purevolume. I was almost obsessed with it. Freshman year of University I found myself in a city that had killer shows, all the time. I went to as many as possible. Waking Ashland, Straylight Run, Cute is what we aim for, hellogoodbye, cartel, new found glory.. and so it goes on.

But then I got more focused and I still loved music but it just was not a priority anymore. (Dont worry, this story has a happy ending)

As school was finishing up and I was finding myself stressed and lost I realized how much I miss music. I miss knowing random tiny underground bands. I miss having lyrics describe how I feel at basically all times. I miss having songs stuck in my head. And I do wish I had the shirt that says "I listen to bands you've never heard of". haha. So I have resolved to bring back that joy. Oh and part of this resolution came when I realized that Rufio was once again making music and has an album coming out in July. Hurray.

So I am back to purevolume and absolutepunk. I am back to looking up concerts, in fact - my graduation party will be at Kilby Court. Waking Ashland is doing a reunion show that night so since I would not miss that for anything I am bring my whole family there haha. It is my grad so I get to choose these things. Epic timing.

Perhaps my posts will start including lyrics or songs that haunt me more. Perhaps my blog will not be changed. All I know is that music changes everything. It sets the mood and creates ambiance. It helps people get through things, like pain, and stress and even those epically stellar moments.

So in honour of my love for music here are a few favourites for certain times. Enjoi.

Emo Days- And then I turned Seven (now called Jamestown Story)
Running- Fall Out Boy
Pre Snowboarding- Tegan and Sara
To create those happy moments- Motion City Soundtrack, White Tie Affair
For stress relief- Waking Ashland, We Shot the Moon, Regina Spektor
To fall asleep to- Death Cab for Cutie, Dashboard Confessional
When you wish you were in love, or perhaps are in love- Ingrid Michaelson, Ben Folds
When I need to laugh- Jesse McCartney and Jay Sean (note this works best if Soph is in the room)
For roadtrips- Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys and Taylor Swift (if Jenn is there)
Ultimate Breakup Song- Breakin' Up by Rilo Kiley


Music has gotten me through some of the worst days ever and I think that should be noted. I love my cds, and that they are alphabetized, and that I have to own a cd if I like the artist, yes I physically have to have the cd.


Let me thank absolute punk for their moto as it inspired todays blog post. So thank you.

3 comments:

  1. holy smokes...

    we shot the moon!!! wow!!! pas mal!

    salut
    john

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soph me too... on our beds as we did homework especially.
    "Oh you are doing homework too? So Jesse and Jay Sean? Yup."
    basically our lives everyday..

    ReplyDelete