04 June 2013

The Closest I Got To The Postal Service Was The Post Office

One time I planned a trip to Utah revolving entirely around the 10 year anniversary tour of the Postal Service. This was monumental to me as they only made the one album and havent been touring in many moons. I bought the tickets along with a limited edition pressing on vinyl the moment they were released. I was ecstatic. So the time came. I drove the fifteen hours and began to reunite with my companions. Finally the time came to drive to the Saltair. As I was on my way I decided to check in on a loved one and in doing so received an email stating the concert was cancelled due to illness. Welcome to my life.

So The Postal Service totally bailed on me but it may have made me realize a little bit more what really matters. Instead I ended up at a Lamaze class playing the role of partner. As we talked about labour and its related topics I realized that I knew this stuff, well. I knew the massages and relaxation techniques and breathing and I enjoyed it. Sometimes I forget that I learned a lot in school as I have been stuck not using it for half a year. Class progressed and somehow it seemed more important to support a best friend than it did to hear a band. Something I wouldnt usually say or feel.

My trip wasnt full of the most monumental or touristy moments. It wasnt sleepless nights and endless partying. It was reconnecting with people that have shaped and changed my life. It was bonding with a little girl whos birth I missed. And it was a reminder that I am not alone.

I may have only been to the  Post Office which was traumatic enough but I dont feel as cheated as I expected. I feel fulfilled. My roadtrip was everything I needed to remind me of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment