27 June 2013

Are We Over Capacity Because Employees Sleep Here?

I understand rush hour. I have learned to be patient when it takes me 60-75 minutes for a 40 minutes commute to get home from work as everyone else is trying to do so and our road system is poor. However, this week is really wearing me down. Last week it was major road closures because of flooding. Ninety minutes to work on Friday, Fridays are typically 35-40 minutes and I leave early enough to avoid traffic. Monday it was only 15 minutes longer than normal. Tuesday and Wednesday, even with the roads back open, my quiet morning drives became 90 minutes. This morning a bridge started to collapse into the river, with 5 train cars on it, carrying 80,000 kg of flammable/explosive material each. This led to a radius being closed involving all roads going to the South. I live North of the city and work near the city's south limits. So 2 hours again, even with leaving at 6 am!

I dont think I can handle this. It is exhausting crawling along roads. Feeling tired and hungry because you left so early. Feeling anxious because you cant do a single thing. And then hearing every single time that the mayor (whom I dislike greatly) urges employers to ask staff to stay home and to provide a day off. My employer is the hospital, days off dont exist.

The hospital is over capacity because of the flooding. A whole town is still flooded and residents havent even seen their homes in a week. Some roads and railways are entirely destroyed. And yet we are expected to show up to work like nothing is happening. I just want a day off to do clean up. To try and make a difference. Instead I am looking for an empty hospital bed to claim because with the current commute I am much better off sleeping here than commuting for four hours a day.

This whole crisis hasnt outwardly affected my life but it is really wearing me out. Floods suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment