08 July 2013

"I'm so glad that all our feelings are true, I can't believe that you're still acting the same like we first met."

"Dont you know that true love never dies?"

Some songs are soundtracks for moments. Other's just fill the dead space. And some feel like they are your life. I was a high schooler when I first became obsessed with Houston Calls. This song felt like my everything. I was also in high school when I met the love of my life. I just didnt know it.

I like to think I am relatively intelligent. That not a lot gets past me. But lately I am realizing I missed a lot. I missed eight years. I guess I just wasnt ready. I was too into myself. The worst part isnt even that everyone else saw it except for me, it is that I took that time for granted.

We have so many memories. Nine years worth. But I have only really given note to the last 6 months. Before you were just one of my best friends. We would never be in love. You would put up with me and my sarcastic ways. You understood I wanted nothing. I just wanted to exist. In all of that time I thought he might care but I convinced myself it wasnt real. That was just how our friendship worked. He would taunt me with fake proposals knowing it would embarrass me and embarrassed I was. We would go for dinners and movies and everything couples would do but we werent a couple. And most of the time we didnt live near each other.

But know I know. I know that he loved me long before I loved myself, and way before I knew I would love him forever. He treated me like a princess when I thought princesses werent real. He waited patiently while I had to make mistakes and learn for myself. And when I was ready he gave me the chance I didnt deserve.

A lot has happened since I was 16. A lot. But the one constant feels like you. And I think Houston Calls knew that. They knew how I would one day feel long before I did. True love doesnt die. And I couldnt be happier that you know me better than I know myself most of the time. I think forever finally opened up my eyes.


3 comments: