24 June 2013

Flood You

Over the past 2 years, 5 months and 13 days I have formed some opinions in regards to flooding. Opinions I did not ever expect to have. It has been emotional the last few days. Not because I am stranded or alone this time but because I know the devastation and I know how so many people are about to feel as they are let back into their homes this week.

It seems amazing that a city usually covered in snow is now full of water. That our greatest event of the year is only days away and the grounds are flooded. We arent Calgary without a Stampede. We need this. We need to feel something normal and to remind ourselves that we are stronger than this.

I am so much more removed this time. I mean I have already had to re-enter life. As the first 25 suburbs were evacuated I was at work. When I realized the roads to my home were all cut off due to flooding I was still at work. And this morning as I wait for the big announcement on the Stampede I am at work. It seems surreal to be doing something so trivial when there are so many people who's homes have been destroyed.Yet I know that at this point there is so little I can do. The waters have to recede. The homes have to be inspected. The belongings collected. It is about to be a long hard road for a lot of people and my heart is breaking for them.

I am so over floods. Over their inconsideration. Over the looting that they inevitably cause. Over the anxiety and loss they leave in their murky waters. I would be most happy if I never saw a flood again. They are making me age much too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment