03 March 2013

Maybe Fairytales Do Exist

I watched the movies. I knew what love looked like. Disney showed me. I knew that princesses found princes and sometimes not princesses did. I knew that there was wooing and romance and magic. That it was a true fairytale. And then I grew up and realized that life wasnt like a movie. Unless you count the Truman Show. My life is the Truman Show. Trust me.

So many days ago happened. It was a day I seldom give any thought. Besides that Purdys has chocolate hearts. They are delicious. So I knew it was coming and this time it was different. We had talked about it before we were even officially us. And I had suggested going for milkshakes at a drive-in. I am really classy. He suggested what we did.

So it arrived. I wore a new little black dress and tried to appear nicer than my usual scruffy self, but lets get it straight, I didnt go as far as brushing my hair, that would have been way overdoing it. So we left work early and began our drive to the mountains. Something about going into the mountains is just magical. They exude beauty and a sense of escape. And as we neared the gorgeous Fairmont Hotel I realized it was a dream. The hotel is like a castle and possibly grander than anything else I know because its close enough to home that it is real but at the same time it is remarkable and like a fairytale. Maybe it added to it that he had bought me a box of Purdys chocolates and we were in an escalade. I know it sounds lame but it was just so over the top yet real.

We spend the afternoon at the spa, a spa with 3 pools containing waterfalls of different temperatures, a pool of mineral water and a hot tub outside overlooking the mountains. This was interrupted only by a massage and then the hot tubbing continued. It just wasnt like the real world, or my life. It was classy and fancy. It was literally something out of the movies. We had our own robes and were treated like royalty.

We finished up and went to a lovely steak house with another couple and by the time we were ready to head back to the city I was exhausted. I just curled up in the car and he let me sleep as we drove through the mountains home. And eventually we were outside the house. I gave him his TMNT cufflinks and was handed a bag that nearly made me cry. It was Tiffanys. I didnt even want to open it. And in that moment I knew that I would never find anyone that could know me better or make me happier.

I think maybe all of the hype about love in movies might be real. I hated it all before because I didnt understand it and I had never felt it this way before. But now I think I may have just landed in my own fairtytale and it is making me so girly and insecure and happy that I cant even explain it. I may be the luckiest girl alive.

1 comment:

  1. :) :) :) :)!!!!!! Seriously, no one deserves a fairytale more than you

    ReplyDelete