19 April 2013

The Not Monumental Kind of Achievements

I am not getting married. Or having a baby. Or buying a dog. Or going somewhere crazy. I am just living. And sometimes I think I forget that is enough.

Lately the world around me seems so overwhelmed with life events. I look around and I see others lives changing in those large monumental ways. And I question so much. I wonder why things in my life arent being monumentous. But I think they are, just in the Lauren way.

Let me explain. For me making friends and new situations are a struggle. I am awkward and shy and reserved and I get self conscious far too easily. So after one attempt at being friendly at my workplace gym went awry I reminded myself that I didnt need friends there. And then the world reminded me I was wrong. It wasnt my doing at all. Maybe I smiled once or something but she introduced herself and a week later we have all of our workouts sorted into who plans them and what we are doing. It is amazing. Not just because she destroys me with her exercises but because I feel like I have branched out. And it isnt one of those things where we are hello friends. We are real friends. The kind that bring chocolates when the other has a breakup. The ones that talk about love and life and kids.

So maybe there isnt a ring on my finger. And maybe I am not having a baby. Or starting a new career. Or travelling. Or doing anything that seems huge. But I am super stoked about my little accomplishment of leaving my own space and letting someone in.  Gold star for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment