31 May 2010

13.1

What does 2 different numbers and a period really mean?
Today, for me, it meant facing the biggest challenge I have put myself through. I chose to do this. I ran my first half marathon. I was not prepared. It seemed so doable. Like I didnt really need to be all completely prepared for it. I felt like I had it down. And then I got there. I heard how hard it was, and that it was not for beginners. It hit. I had no idea what I was in for. I was not ready at all. But it was too late. I had to go through with it.

Mile 4. I thought I was about to die. I started way too fast and it was a LOT of up hills. I broke down mentally. I felt like I coudnt run further, my lungs hurt, I was tired. It was just too hard. There was no way I could do another 9 miles. I just wanted to leave. But then I knew it was up to me. I had to change my perspective. I had to embark on the mental game of convincing myself to continue.

I dont even really know what happened. I just knew this was something I wanted to accomplish and that quitting was not an option. It was so hard. But by mile 6 I was game. I was ready to nail the last 7 miles and to prove to myself that I could handle a half marathon.

Its not like the next 7 miles were easy. It was grueling. The hills just kept coming. My knee ached. My lungs hurt. But everything had changed mentally. I knew I would do the next 7 miles and I would be proud of myself. So I did.

And when I finally saw the end, and all of the people cheering I was so psyched! They were there supporting me. And I did it. I ran my first half marathon. And I am so much stronger because of it.
Sometimes we have to put ourselves through really hard things. Today I chose to put myself through 13.1 miles. And everytime we accomplish or overcome hard things, well we just grow. You have to choose to stand up or else the waves of life will continually beat you down. Today I feel like I stood tall. And I am ever so proud of myself.





maybe one day I will d
o it again. 13.1


No comments:

Post a Comment