04 March 2010

Compsognathus

Fact. The Compsognathus was about 3 ft tall, and reached just below the Barosaurus' ankle. It had long legs for running fast and was a carnivore.

I think that if I was such a small dinosaur I would have to be very courageous, you know, killing other dinosaurs for food when I was small enough to be crushed by the foot of a Barosaurus. I just picture the Compsaognathus as being brave, thats all.

Today was one of the most epic days I have had, possibly in my whole time at BYU. The timing could not have been better, after last night I felt so ready for something incredible.

It started out so basic and typical, in the lab for class at 7, studying the lower leg ligaments and muscles with a friend at 8, 9-12 was occupied with volunteering with my favourite kids, and by 1 was off to Sundance to board. Typical. The weather was so sunshiny I was worried the mountain would be icy, making boarding less than ideal. Yet once I arrived and commented on the lack of snow it began snowing, and really didnt let up til 2 hours after we left the hill.

It was beautiful. There is something peaceful and renewing about boarding while it snows. Your tracks are covered so quickly that by the time you get back to the top you cant even see where you were last time. It was the most chill time ever up there. We were just in a mood to embrace nature and be one with our boards. Maybe it sounds cliche or gay, whatever. It was amazing. I felt a more real connection with my board and s turns were natural. I guess I have improved more than I could have imagined this season. Regardless, it was just the event I needed to remind me of who I am and the joy I can find in simple things, like watching the snow fall while on the lift.

I really would have been thrilled if boarding was the only epic event of the day, even the week. But I was so blessed. I had a chance to conquer a fear. I know it sounds crazy, but yah I have been a lifeguard for almost 6 years and yet I hate going off the diving boards, they terrify me. So I took diving lessons today from a previous Olympic Diver, and Olympic judge. I practiced with his club team today so I could try and get over my fear. The little diver girls know me well and were astounded that I was getting in with them. But none of that mattered, all that really was important was that I had someone that believed in me more than I believed in myself. Keith has always known I could dive if I just pushed my fears aside. So I started with the forward line up dives and progressed to handstands/walk overs and then back dives. I was petrified of the back dives, I mean it just seems dangerous, but I did it. And then I learned how to properly hurdle and started working on a jump front dive. Perhaps it seems basic. But I was so scared.
DO ONE THING A DAY THAT SCARES YOU.
Today I decided to learn to dive. And yah, I screamed a few times mid-air. And I am not embarassed by it. Its not everyday you can go home and be proud of yourself for facing something you are afraid of.

Today was epic. I had the most beautiful time boarding and I overcame a fear, and enjoyed it.

Oh and my little black princess called tonight, she had soo much energy, you could tell through the phone, she was squealing about running. haha. Apparently sometimes she carries my picture around the house, and whenever she does my mother lets her phone me. I miss her, and the rest of my family. As expected, hey.

Well I just wanted to note the epicness of today. I loved it. And doing Ochem tonight has sucked less than usual because I am so happy. Sometimes I need to just be sad and realize that something upsetting has occurred. And other days I just need to be stressed because it pushes me. And sometimes I just have to embrace the miracle of life and nature and just be happy beyond belief.
I love the ever changing nature of everyday life.


1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm I LOVE you and your blogging :) And I LOVE doing things that scare me!!!

    ReplyDelete